Saturday, November 21, 2009

Are Actresses Edging Out Models on Magazine Covers?

My article is about actresses taking away models work, I found this article in the New York Times web page. There were many related to my topic, but I chose this one because I thought it was interesting and it could keep my blog interesting. I also chose it because it matches with my latest post. This article has more opinion than facts and it was written by Suzy Menkes.
In this article Marc Jacobs chief sponsor of the Costume Institute exhibition, talks about how models are having hard time appearing on magazines covers, because those magazines are featuring Hollywood stars' issues. "The idea of supermodels came in a pop culture when actresses weren't that interesting. Now Hollywood is filled with young actresses, and there is digital technology to make them look good."(Jacobs) Also Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue magazine, admits that people today is more likely to find star power in Hollywood than on the run way. "The public interest in models these last few years has not been as it was during the early' 90s when Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista caused so much excitement, and until models become celebrities again in their own right, I can't see them selling as well on magazine covers as actresses" (Wintour) She also said that in order for models to become popular and famous as Hollywood stars, they are going to have to live that sort of "fishbowl" existence.
For me models this days are only to be on the runways, they aren't as facetious as actresses are and that is why we prefer to see actresses on magazine covers. Also i think that models are just so skinny and abnormal and sometimes even hubris for people to look up, also their type of body and kind of life make people think of how imperfect we are, while actresses are cute, and interesting but they also have a reachable figure for people to follow, and even they show us more about their lives so we realize that they are just like us and i think that is the main reason of why we prefer them on the magazine covers.
Even though I'm used to see actresses on magazine covers, i never thought that fashion models were running out of opportunities to appear on them. I never thought about runway models to appear on something else besides the fashion shows, and i think that is another issue for the fashion industry to consider, because even when they think as their models as perfect the reality is that those models aren't as famous and loved as Hollywood stars are. I also think that people is getting tired of trying to follow models way of living, because of the obstacles and issues they face every day, and that's why don't really see their life as the life we would love to live.

Works Cited
"The New York Times Log In." The New York Times- Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. Web. 17 Nov. 2009.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/fashion/05iht-fcover.html?_r=1>.

"The New York Times Log In." The New York Times- Breakin News, World News &
Multimedia. Web. 21 Nov. 2009.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/fashion/05iht-fcover.html?_r=1>.

1 comment:

  1. Models was an interesting topic.I never imagined models would lose opportunities and jobs. After reading the article it really make sense as to how Hollywood stars are taking over the magazine issues. All in all the article was very intelligent with helpful information.

    ReplyDelete